Gangster in America – Jack "Legs" Diamond – A Gangster Who Cannot Be Killed

Jack "Legs" Diamond was wounded and wounded many times, he was called "Gangster, which can not be killed."

Diamond, born July 10, 1897 from parents from Killruche, County Clare in Ireland, spent the first years of his life in Philadelphia. After his mother died of a viral infection, when Diamond was thirteen years old, he and his younger brother Eddie were in a group of violent people called "Boiler". Diamond was arrested more than a dozen times for various robberies and lawlessness, and after several months in a juvenile correctional colony, he was drafted into the army. Army life did not fit Diamond too well. He served less than a year, then decided to quit. He was soon caught and sentenced to three to five years in federal prison in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

Diamond was released from prison in 1921, and he decided that New York was where he could make his fortune. Diamond and his brother Eddie moved to the Lower East Side of Manhattan, where they met with a gangster named Lucky Luciano. Diamond performed various ridiculous tasks for Luciano, including a bit of bootlegging along with Brooklyn thug Vanny Higgins. Diamond’s marriage with Florence Williams lasted only a few months (he was never at home). But his luck changed when Luciano introduced Diamond to Arnold's “Brain” to Rothstein, a notorious player and financial wizard. It was the break Diamond was waiting for, and he did his best.

Starting with Rothstein’s bodyguard, Rothstein invited Diamond as a partner in his lucrative heroin business. When his pockets filled with money and his need for Rothstein decreased, Diamond, along with his brother Eddie, decided to break up on his own. They thought they could make a bunch by hijacking trucks smuggling to other bandits, including Owen Madden and Big Bill Dwyer. This was not a good idea, since Madden and Dwyer were part of a larger syndicate of criminals, which included Luciano, the Dutch Schulz, and Meyer Lansky. In the blink of an eye, Brilliant became the persona non grata in the gangster world, and free fees for everyone who wanted to get rid of him.

In October 1924, Diamond drove a Dodge sedan along Fifth Avenue when, on 110th Street, a black limousine stretched along it. The shotgun shot Diamond from the rear window of the limo, but Diamond was too fast to be killed. He leaned over and hit the accelerator, no matter where he was going. Fortunately, he was able to escape from his shooters and take himself to a nearby hospital on Mount Sinai. Doctors removed the pellets in his head, face and legs, and when the police arrived to interrogate him, Diamond shook his head.

“I don’t know anything about this,” Diamond said to Pooh. "Why does someone want to shoot me? They must have been mistaken for a guy. ”

Diamond soon became friends with a gangster who did not want to kill him. His name was "Little Augie" Orgen. Orgen appointed Diamond his chief bodyguard. In turn, Organen gave Diamond an excellent share of his bootlegging and drug trafficking business. This friendship continued very well, until October 15, 1927, when Louis Lepke and Gurra Shapiro shot Organa at the corner of Norfolk and Delancey Street, and Almaz allegedly stood guard over Organa’s security. The diamond was wounded in the arms and legs (probably by accident), which required another trip to the hospital. After his release, he put an end to Lepke and Shapiro, and as a result, two killers gave Diamond Orgen bootlegging and drug companies a reward for being stupid enough to interfere with bullets destined for Orgen.

Now Diamond was on top of the world. He had enough money to scatter and became a stronghold in all of New York's nightclubs, usually with Kiki Roberts, a dancer in his hand, despite the fact that he was still married to his second wife, Alice Kenny. Diamond was regularly seen at the Cotton Club, El Fey, and the Stork Club, and his portrait often appeared in newspapers in which Diamond was not portrayed as a gangster, but as a handsome man in the city. Diamond soon became a co-owner of the Scottish Dude Club on Broadway between 54th and 55th Streets, and Jaimi Cohen became his partner. The Hotsy Totsy Club had a back room where Diamond often resolved business disputes, usually shooting their opponents and then executing them as if they were drunk.

The fall of the Diamond began when on July 13, 1929, three naughty dockers loaded up and made a fuss at the Hotsy Totsy Club. Diamond jumped with his gang member Charles Entratta to prevent his manager from being strangled. “I and Jack Diamond and I manage this place,” Diamond told the dockers. “If you don’t calm down, I will tear off your (abusive) heads.”

The conversation did not work, and the shooting soon began. When the smoke cleared, two dockers were killed and one wounded. As a result, Diamond and Entratt took this on the run. While they were hiding, Diamond decided that before he could return to what he was doing, the bartender and three witnesses needed to be killed. And soon they were. Cohen, too, was dead, and the girl with the hat check, the cashier and one waiter disappeared from the face of the earth. Diamond and Entratta, with everyone who could harm them, calmly turned to the police and said: "I heard they are looking for us." No charges were brought against them, but Diamond realized that New York was no longer safe for him, so he closed the Totsey club and moved to Green County in upstate New York.

In upstate New York, Diamond conducted a small bootlegging operation. But after months of impatience, he sent a message to the gangsters in New York, namely the Dutch Schulz and Owen Madden, who in his absence picked up Diamond rackets that he was returning to pick up what was his. This set a goal right on the back of the Diamond, and he became known as the "dove of the underworld."

Diamond was sitting in the bar of the Aratoga Hotel near Arch, New York, when three men dressed as duck hunters burst into the bar and filled Diamond with bullets. The doctors gave him little chance of survival, but after four weeks Diamond left the hospital and told the press: “Well, I did it again. No one can kill Jack Legs of Diamond. ”

A few months later, when Diamond left a roadside hotel in upstate, he was shot four times; in the back, leg, lung and liver, but he again overcame the chances that the doctors gave him and survived. He was not so lucky in December 1931 when, after a night of drinking at the Kenmore Hotel in Albany, he stumbled back drunk in the next room and fell asleep. The landlady later said that she had heard Diamond plead for his life before she heard three shots. Apparently, two bandits broke into Diamond's room, and while one held him by two ears, the other thrust three slugs into his brain.

The killers fled in a red packcard, putting an end to the myth that Jack “Legs” Diamond was a gangster who could not be killed.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *